- Who are the teachers in YSS?
I (Shyam Rudra Pathak) teach all the three subjects.
- What does YSS mean?
The literal translation of Yogyata Samvardhan Sansthan (YSS) can be “an institute for nurturing competence.” I chose this name because I believe that a person’s intelligence is not static; one’s talent and ability can improve considerably by solving problems and by interacting with a good teacher.
- What does YSS do?
YSS helps the students in doing preparations for JEE for the IITs. My teaching is exhaustive. First I teach the basic theory; usually with the approach that the theory should be constructed before the students starting from the simple considerations and then I ask the students to solve all the problems from a standard source book on their own; after that I solve those problems where students face difficulty. So, my teaching is useful for all such examinations, where knowledge of physics, chemistry and mathematics is required, like XIIth board examination, various engineering entrance examinations besides JEE for IITs, International Physics Olympiad, Asian Physics Olympiad, International Chemistry Olympiad, and International Mathematics Olympiad, etc. I strongly suggest to the guardians not to send their children to more than one coaching institute keeping in view the various tests. It is absurd and undue burden on the students. Ideally one coaching institute should be sufficient for all the examinations of that level. In any case students enrolled with YSS are not allowed to attend any other coaching institute. Besides the students, there have been some teachers also, who learned extensively by taking consultancy from me either in person or telephonically.
How is YSS different from other coaching institutes?
1. Usually coaching institutes show problem solving by examples. I believe that the basic theory must be understood before attempting the problems. After teaching the basic theory together with a few examples, I encourage students to solve the problems on their own and ask doubts wherever they feel any difficulty. Usually there is a test on each chapter.
2. From its very inception, YSS has been having the courage and confidence to have this ethical business policy of offering the refund provision. Any student can ask for the refund of fees if he/she wants to quit the institute. After deducting the fees for the hours of classes offered for the student at the rate of Rs.450/- per hour till the time of receipt of such application, the remaining fees are refunded by account payee cheque in the name of the student’s guardian. Mere absence from the classes does not mean application for the refund. Even that student, who likes my teaching but wants to quit the institute because of some other reason, is entitled for the refund.
3. I have been providing concession in fees to the students, who are from economically, socially and educationally weaker sections. People facing economic hardships can be provided education loans.
4. Students can ask questions from any book of the world in the classroom and not only from any prescribed book. There is full freedom to ask questions, for which the students are motivated, encouraged and even provoked.
5. Student’s guardian or any previous teacher or any other well-wisher can come and attend any one of my classes without paying any fee and without giving any prior information. Such a well-wisher can ask question in the class room itself in the presence of the students. One is welcome to come with difficult questions for this purpose.
6. Number of students in a class cannot be more than fifteen.
7. There is no fixed upper limit of teaching hours. It is according to the students’ requirements.